Saturday, June 9, 2007

Less than a week to "bon voyage"

What a gap between posts! I truly didn't intend to have such a gap. Guess this is an indication that I won't be posting on the trip every day - not that I intended to, just every other day or so, with the highlights of each port (again, hopefully).
Anyway, where are we? I have ordered some polo shirts since t-shirts can't be worn to dinner. I have gotten some "bling" for dress up nights. Zman and I did some shopping at the swap meet last Sunday: athletic socks for both of us (all that city-tripping and Vesuvius hiking, y'know) and I bought a crushable, brimmed hat. Oh, and that after I just had to get my $80+ dollar hat.
I had decided I wanted a California Speedway hat (must spread that NASCAR love in Europe) and Zman had told me that if I wanted to, he would take me to Fontana to get it. So April 28 there was an event (Suzuki motorcycles) and we went up there. They typically have the merchandise trailers outside the gates so you're able to purchase items without having to buy a ticket - nice if you're there just for the shopping. Unbeknownst to me, now they charge a regular even ticket price for the "midway" area. I was about ready to turn around (after we tried at the ticket booth, gate entry and security trailer to see if there was a way we could just go in and out within 5 minutes .. nope, gotta buy a ticket) and leave when Zman said we're here, why don't you just get it. So, yeah, I got it. $20 for the hat, $30 for the ticket, and $30 something for the gas. Yeah, I know, I'm weird, a lunatic. And then, after all that (shhh! don't tell Zman), I was advised by a co-worker not to wear clothing with university logos or American city names because you don't want to be identified on sight as an American. I'm not paranoid but I believe in taking precautions. Which reminds me: gotta take that Airborne.
Today, while tidying up, Zman found a cruise line book we picked up at AAA ... a while ago. The printing says "2002-2004 Vacations", so it must be several years old. Inside is a photo (full page, I might add) of an equivalent stateroom we'll have. There it is, to the left ("to the left, to the left" ... sorry, didn't plan that, but couldn't resist; Beyonce fans, which I'm not especially, will understand the reference).
I spent part of today preparing booklets of info for Grandma to take with her so she can see where we'll be on certain days, for our "emergency" contacts (guess what, A. and I., you two are it!), and for our pet sitter. Next on my task list is to pay all the bills that will be due. My intention is to have little to nothing to do on the day before our flight.

No comments: